Friday, May 20, 2011

More than just reading the books.

My Darling Hubby posted on his Facebook status "The fact that you are willing to go out and buy 100 parenting books. Means you are already a good parent. " Hmm....In my thick head I just couldn't accept that.

When I became a Mother 2 and a half years ago I was just exactly that. I read every single book I could get my hands on! I was soooo determined to be a good Mother, it just couldn't be in the cards for me to fail. Perhaps I was running from my past. Most people become parents by the example they were shown from their parents, that couldn't be me. I was going to be the best Mother there ever was, and I wish I could say I became that from the 18 books I read to show for it. At first I tried to be perfect, well that lasted all of 5 minutes. The Lord has a great sense of humor, he gave me ...Austin:) I love my little guy with all my heart and soul, he ignites my smile and laughter every single day and I thank God for giving me exactly him. Austin as a baby was either laughing hysterically...or crying hysterically. Not much in between, and not much has changed in 2 years!! He's as strong willed as they come, and the Lord has put it on my heart that just like there are no perfect children...there certainly are no perfect parents. Having Austin has shown me that I get a fresh start! I don't have to be condemned by my past. The future is bright and Austin's is putty in my fingers.(Actually that sounds scary).

 Austin will grow up knowing that;

A) Daddy and Mommy love each other, just as they love me, just as God loves me.
B) The world does NOT revolve around me
C)Love God-love others
D) Share, please share

Ok that last one is only because he's 2 and well you know 2 year olds!!

Concluding now....

Just because you buy 100 books doesn't mean your parenting ends there...believe me I've lived that! It's leading by example, it's consistancy, it's following through, it's being reliable...it's being...there. That's how my children will know they are loved, it's not about being this "perfect parent". All I can pray is that they never ever question my love for them.

3 comments:

miranda isis said...

i 100% agree with your comment that parenting is leading by example. in fact i believe thats what every relationship is all about. if you want to affect someones life, its all about the example you are setting for that person. and of course when someone feels loved...well theres nothing else in the world that will remove fear or doubt or insecurity like love and change someone so fully and lasting. i love this and i love you! you are a great mom(:
ps that picture is adorbs!!

DawnaHartman said...

Good start girlfriend...keep it up! I will now have yet another blog to obsessively check on, on a daily basis :)

Nicole Button said...

this is such a cute picture EB! I'm so glad you started a blog i love following bloggs. LOVE YOU