Saturday, May 21, 2011

Building Our Sanctuary

It takes a certain type of person to make their bed every day. Like what is the point? Most of the time when I actually get to it, it's 2pm when my children are down for a nap we're sooo gonna go to sleep anyway in a few hours! I've always thought that the person that makes their bed REALLY has their life together. To do something so monotonous but making sure to go that extra mile and pull things together...I thought...someday I'll make my bed every day.
Well I heard this message at a couples connection. The Pastor asked us..."Ladies, why do you turn your husbands down at night? Is it because your tired? Feel frumpy? Fat? Headache?"   Etc.... Let me ask you this....

"Do you build your Sanctuary?"

It starts from the very beginning of the day, before the craziness of the day starts between your husband and yourself. Before attitude creeps in..before the crankiness takes hold of you. Build your sanctuary.  Your sanctuary is your bedroom. You go there to SLEEP. Unwind. Spend time with each other. What does it look like? Do you have baby toys all over the floor? Bills scattered all over your desk? (BTW...who wants to look at bills before bed?) Do you have pictures of your kids cute little faces staring at you? Think. This is the place for your husband and you to reconnect. Now I'm sorry but it is very hard for me to be "Sexy wifey Alisha...while I'm tripping over toys and/or looking at bills" Let your room be your sanctuary for each other.
Here's how I build my sanctuary.... I make my bed....for my Hubby. When I walk into the room the first thing I look at is the bed. How much more inviting does it look for both of you to crawl into it together in crisp-tight-fresh sheets? With all of the crazyness in our lives...for all of the excuses I can make to not....well....you know;) I know, at the beginning of the day, I'm building our sanctuary by making the bed. No I don't make it every day, I'm no perfect wife (just ask my MIL that comes to watch the kids when I'm rushing out the door not making my bed on the 2 days I work!). But you can imagine how excited Hubby gets when he comes home to see the non-verbal communication staring at him when he looks at our pretty made bed!!
All I'm saying is that making your bed can be so much more than a monotonous task. For every second that I pull those sheets together I'm thinking of how much I love to serve my husband, as I fluff the pillows into place I'm thinking of how much he deserves to come home to -if not a perfect house-...a perfect bed.


P.s. I sent this to Hubby while he was at work. Needless to say he had a pretty good day:)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful, Alisha! I thought I was the only one who doesn't want my kids' pictures in our bedroom! Our room is our sanctuary and where we go to rest in our love and reconnect. Love this post!

Nicole Button said...

OMG this is so right on! I love you EB. i love to crawl into a fresh made bed but i rarely take the extra 5 minutes in the morning to make it.

Texan'sBumbleBMommy said...

Both of your comments made me smile!! Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one ALWAYS!!! Both of you are such great wifey's I'm so glad you agree.